Monday, October 26, 2009

The Artwork of Venice

This past week we had the opportunity to look at some incredible works of art placed throughout Venice. I had no idea how many incredible things were kept within the museums and churches of this city. I was able to see works by Bellini, Tintoretto, Titian, Donatello, and even Leonardo Da Vinci. Not being one who has ever studied art, or really taken the time to appreciate it, I am blown away by everything. I do not traditionally view life in an abstract way, and I am someone who very much thrives with structure and rules. However, by learning about the different styles and the history of art, I am developing a greater appreciation for this form of expression which I have often run from.


While the Bellini’s are beautiful, and the incredible craftsmanship of the Vitruvian Man by Da Vinci is inexplicable, it is Tintoretto who captured me. Walking through the rooms at Scuola di Rocco made me feel like a kid in a candy store. The reality that he portrays in his paintings is something that I admire because it drew me in as a viewer. We’ve talked a lot about different aspects of the Renaissance and that they often make one feel like they are invited into the picture, but Tintoretto really hit the nail on the head in my opinion. I loved the fact that he gave us the entire setting of each situation he painted. He showed us the action at the Crucifixion, the animals at Jesus’ birth, the bystanders at the Last Supper, and so many other things that are often left out of pictures. He painted more of a reality then other artists seem to.

This makes me think of Venice, and my preconceived notions I had about the city. I had this idea of a quiet Italian town, gondola rides, and the beautiful Basilica di San Marco. When Venice is painted it is portrayed through canals, beautiful churches, and campaniles. Although today at the Accademia we did get a small taste of the true Venice being painted, traditionally the artist leaves out the reality just as those artists did when depicting religious scenes. What would a painting of Venice be of if it included all of the truths of the city? Perhaps the tourists would be flooding the quiet canals, or maybe the artist would include the platforms set up during an acqua alta. Would they include the vaporetti in order to depict the main form of transportation?



I guess it is partially personal choice, but I wonder why artists only paint a portion of what they see or know. To me, the acqua alta we experienced, and the hustle and bustle of people is what makes Venice the unique city that it is. Just as a person shouldn’t pretend to be somebody they aren’t, why would an artist want to paint this idea of a city that doesn’t actually exist?

No comments:

Post a Comment